The Ho-Chunk Nation Tribal Aging Unit’s purpose is to provide quality services to our Tribal Elders in a timely fashion. We believe Ho-Chunk Elders deserve respect, advocacy, and assistance with their daily needs. Their precious and valuable experience provides needed guidance for current and future Tribal leadership so that their knowledge and wisdom is protected and preserved for those yet unborn.
Ensure all Ho-Chunk Nation Elders daily needs are met related to; Nutrition, Health, Home and Safety into perpetuity.
Following is a list of services/assistance that TAU provides:
HCN Tribal Aging has 5 mealsite locations in Wisconsin: Nekoosa, Wittenberg, Tomah, Wisconsin Dells and Black River Falls.
Meals provided from the County for out of mealsite area Elders
- Medical – Always first priority
- Non-Medical Errands – Workshops / Field Trips / Conferences / Picnics / Grocery Shopping / Errands, etc. (We recommend a 48 hour notice, but will transport at a shorter notice upon availability of Driver)
200 gallons or equivalent per fiscal year
Minor Home Repairs:
For the Health & Safety of the Elder. A TAU work order must be completed along with proof of home ownership, such as deed and insurance before home repairs. (Emergency Major Home Repairs will be taken care of and reimbursement will be requested from the Elder Assistance Program through the TAU Elder Board)
Repair or replacement of Stove, Refrigerator, Washer, or Dryer
In conjunction with Ho-Chunk Housing and/or outside vendors
Medical Goods & Supplies: (Elders 60-69 require medical prescription)
- Including but not limited to Walkers, Canes, Wheelchairs, Grab Bars, Incontinence Supplies, Noncovered medical items
- Hearing Aid Batteries
- Pest Control
- Septic Pumping
- Medical Hotel/Meals when the Elder’s Home is 50 miles or further from the hospital:
- Up to 3 night hotel stay and $50 daily meal allowance when immediate family member is in the hospital ICU/CCU
- Hotel stay the night prior to Elder’s medical appointment/early morning appointment
TAU has 2 Elder Benefits Specialists that will assist Elders with Legal/Benefits Assistance to include
Medicare, Medical Assistance, Social Security, Wills, Consumer Problems, etc.
Elder Requests other than those mentioned above, may receive assistance on a case by case basis
depending on circumstances.
TAU ORGANIZATIONAL CHART