Ho-Chunk Nation
Budgetary Assistance Program

This program is for Tribal Members
If you receive SSI or Medicaid, you are not allowed to apply for this program.


The Budgetary Assistance Program provides budgetary assistance to enrolled tribal members who elect to have their quarterly income disbursed throughout the quarter.

Budgetary Assistance Program Terms:

  • The entire net check from your quarterly per capita payment will be credited to your account on the date identified within the applicable Legislative Resolution and the Per Capita Ordinance.
  • Payments of your net check will be distributed in three equal amounts on the first business day of each month unless otherwise requested.
  • There are no fees charged to participate in this program.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Ho-Chunk Nation enrolled tribal member
  • Be 18 years of age and currently receive Per Capita distribution.
  • Must have a net amount remaining of the Per Capita distribution.
  • Must no receive SSI or Medicaid.

Application Period:

The Treasury Department will accept applications at any time. To be enrolled in the budgetary assistance program for the next quarter, the completed enrollment form must be received in Treasury no later than 15 days prior to the next per capita payment.

  • Budgetary Assistance Applications

    • Applicants must submit a fully completed budgetary assistance program authorization form.
    • The treasury Department will verify that applications meet all of the requirements in the Budgetary Assistance Program Policy.
    • All incomplete/incorrect applications will be returned and the tribal member must re-submit their application.
  • Denied Applications

    If the eligibility requirements are not met notification will be sent to the applicant indicating the reason for denial.

  • Distribution of Budgetary Assistance

    • All budgetary assistance payments will be disbursed by direct deposit or by a paper check. Contact payroll to learn how to enrolling direct deposit – it is safe, fast and efficient.


    • For check believed to be lost, applicants may request and complete a Stop Payment Form which will be processed no sooner than 10 calendar days after the date the original check was issued.
    • Once the original Stop Payment Form is received by Treasury, a new check will be issued to the tribal member in accordance with the Treasury Department’s Stop Payment procedures. Once a stop Payment is preformed on a check the original check MUST NOT be cashed; doing so may result in ineligibility to participate in the program. This may also result in additional legal ramifications including garnishment of future per capita income.
    • Original stale dated checks (check that are over 90 days old) sent to Treasury will be voided and a new check will be issued, generally within 3 business days of the request.

Customer Service

Customer service is available 8:00 am to 4:30 pm central standard time, during normal business days. Call 1-800-779-2873 to speak with a payroll specialist regarding:

  • Current Balance
  • Transaction information
  • Processing status of requests
  • Other budgetary assistance program-related questions

E-Mail us at:

Write us at:
HCN Treasury Department
P.O. Box 640
Black River Falls, WI 54615-0640

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will this affect my SSI or Medicaid?

A: Tribal members who receive these benefits cannot enroll in the program as it may result in loss of financial assistance provided under SSI or Medicaid.

Q: What is the purpose of the program?

A: No. All of your money is available at the date stated within the per capita declaration resolution.

Q: Is the program voluntary?

A: Yes. It is strictly voluntary.

Q: Will this affect my social security retirement?

A: No. Please keep in mind that retirement payments are based upon your work history. Retirement payments are not the same as SSI.

Q: Is this an advance on my quarterly per capita income?

A: No. The funds held in your name belong to you and may be withdrawn at any time.

Q: When can I enroll in the Budgetary Assistance Program?

A: Enrollment can be done at any time during the year. Actual processing as outlined within the policy requires that the enrollment form be received in Treasury no later than 15 days prior to the per capita distribution date.

Q: Can I still receive an advance on my next quarterly per capita income?

A: Yes. Any advances will be deducted from your next quarterly per capita income.

Q: How do I enroll in the program?

A: Complete the Budgetary Assistance Authorization form and remit to the Treasury Department. We will accept forms via fax, e-mail (as an attachment), or in-person.

Q: I currently participate in direct deposit. How will my money be paid?

A: You will receive your money as directed on the PER CAPITA Direct Deposit/Payroll Card Authorization form. You do not need to complete a new Direct Deposit form to continue to receive your payment in this manner.

Q: I participate in direct deposit and have changed my bank. Will this disrupt my payments?

A. Yes it will unless Treasury receives your updated PER CAPITA Direct Deposit/Payroll Card Authorization form. We strongly encourage the use of a payroll card (debit card) because your payments will still be made timely. Changes made to your bank account information may affect timely payments.

Q: If I enroll, when would I receive my monthly payment?

A: Monthly payments will be processed with an effective date of the first business day of each month until exhausted. Direct deposit and payroll (debit) cards receive the deposits much sooner than a paper check.

Q: What if I need my money early? Can I do a partial or full withdrawal of available money?

A: Yes. You can request a portion or the remaining balance at any time as long as the Budgetary Assistance Authorization Form is properly completed and remitted to Treasury. Early payout request will take up to three business days to process. Monthly payments will be processed with an effective date of the first business day of each month. Direct deposit and payroll (debit) cards receive the deposits much sooner than a paper check.

Q: How do I know how much I have received in income?

A: The Treasury Department will continue to send a quarterly income advice when per capita income is distributed regardless of enrollment in the program. If you are not enrolled in the program, the net payment owed will be distributed as normal.

Q: How will I know the remaining balance owed to me after the initial payment?

A: You will receive an advice that will show your quarterly net income less withdrawals-to-date when a balance remains.

Q: What do I do if I have a question or problem?

A: Call the Treasury Department at extension 1245, leave a voice mail message at extension 1240, stop by in person, or e-mail the question to tobpayroll.help@ho-chunk.com.

Q: I moved. Will this disrupt my payments?

A: All mailings are sent to the current address on file with the Enrollment Department. Any returned mailings will not be forwarded until the Enrollment Department receives an updated address verification form. Once completed, monthly mailings will be sent to your new address.

Q: Are there any fees to participate in the program?

A: No.

Q: Will I earn interest on my money held within this program?

A: No.

Q: Will I receive a monthly statement?

A: No. You will receive an advice with every payment.

Q: Can my account ever have a negative balance?

A: No.

Q: Can I have someone else request money on my behalf?

A: No, not unless they have a notarized power of attorney document attached.

Q: Can I add money to my account?

A: No.

Q: How do I cancel participation in the program? Will I be penalized?

A: Remit a new, completed Budgetary Assistance Authorization Form with the “Cancel” box checked. You will not be penalized for opting out of the program.

Q: Do I need to re-enroll if I do an early withdrawal of my money?

A: No. You will remain in the program until you submit another Budgetary Assistance Authorization form to cancel your enrollment.